4/19/09

Dehydrating

If you don't have a dehydrator, see if you can borrow one, it's great to have on hand. I have been using it to dehydrate apples. Kroger was having a sale on braeburn apples last week. I wanted to take advantage of the sale so I bought a bunch and dehydrated them for the kids lunches. It's a great way to get them to eat their apples!
Slice up your fruit. If you are doing apples, fill a bowl with cold water and add about 3t. lemon juice to every cup of water. As you chop put the apples in the water solution to get a whiter dried apple. Then pat them off before placing on the rack.

You can sprinkle Cinnamon sugar on them to make for a treat.

I also did yogurt drops. A thick yogurt like Dannon works best.
The longer you leave them in the dehydrator, you will get a crispier apple, like a apple chip. These are what my kids like, rather than to have them more chewier.
I think this is a great way to take advantage of sales!
Fruit by the foot was a hit here as well.

I took a cup of applesauce and about 1/4 cup of my homemade jam. I am sure store bought will work as well. I mixed them together, and spread over the tray, then rolled it up, cut and there you go- fruit roll up! 
I personally do not like doing bananas, but pineapple, pears, oranges, and other fruits are so yummy. 
I tried carrots this week and they did great! I actually liked having them to munch on when I just felt like grazing.

Dehydrating your fruits and veggies are actually a great way to KEEP your nutrients in your foods. Nutrients are lost by your food just sitting on the table, in fact once its harvested it starts to loose its nutritional value. So dehydration is a GREAT way to keep in those nutrients. 

No comments: